The toughest part of selling online is to find product trends. This requires loads of research and accurate judgment of how a particular product will perform, how customers will react to the overall market and up-coming marketing trends. By catching the wave, you will be able to make more sales of the product.
The biggest challenge online sellers face today is, every niche has a different trend. It is practically difficult to come up with a consolidated guideline to find trending products. A seller should be knowing what people want to buy. Running out on trending products could badly hamper your sales.
Many times, by the time you find out trends in the products; the fad is over and the products are no longer in demand. Moreover, trends vary based on a geographical region. Well, simply put a long story short, you need to do tons of research about trending products before you enter the market and even after you enter the market.
Some of biggest blunders in e-commerce selling are-
- Not focusing much on customer demand
- Ignoring customer feedbacks
- Fewer post-sales customer interaction
- Not showcasing enough product details
- Use of too less automated tools to simplify e-commerce selling
- Missing out on your unique proposition value
- Lack of geographical market understanding
- Having difficult navigation to find products
To solve all of these issues, it is extremely important to focus and find trending products to sell online. From a customer’s perspective, the ability to shop by trends allows them to easily browse products. This helps in keeping the customers hooked and keep shopping. Below we have consolidated a detailed guideline on how to find trending products to sell online.
In case you are not sure about the popularity of a product, then you can check it out on Google Trends. Google trends clearly show the viability, trendiness, and popularity of the product specific to regions.
This is a free tool and is extremely simple to use. It provides a comprehensive graph, showing pictorially how the product is performing. Suppose you have an online store for toys. We have searched “Action Figures” in google trends and got the below results-
As you can see, this has a varying trend. Along with the product popularity, google trends also gives you trends based on geographical regions.
With google trends, you can also filter based on a specific country. Below is a filtering based on the United States.
Along with region specifications, you can also provide the number of months you wish to pull the trend. This could be way beyond 5 years, or even you can specify a custom time range. What is incredible, is the fact that this is not just filtered over web search, but one can also see trends based on Image search, News search, Google shopping or YouTube search.
Google trends, also have options to compare items. So in case you want to sell multiple items, you can very quickly do a comparison for the popularities of the item. Below we have compared Action figures, Fidget, Hasbro and Marvel series toys.
Out of this, clearly, Marvel series toys stand out with a more or less consistent trend. Google trends are amazingly simple to use and a powerful way to deduce trends of your products.
A good explanation of google trends is provided in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gurCskC7Ss
2. Research on Popular Online Sellers:
Besides general popularity trends, you can hack an existing marketplace to discover bestselling products. This is definitely a bit more tedious job but can provide great insights into the trending products. You can check out best-seller as shown below-
Some of the popular sites to look for are-
- Amazon best seller – https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers/zgbs
- eBay top selling products – http://www.ebay.com/ctg
- Alibaba best seller – https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/alibaba-best-sellers.html
JungleScout (https://www.junglescout.com/) a tool makes this discovery process a bit easier. This is a paid tool, which helps Amazon sellers conduct product research so they can discover trending products that are both highly profitable and in high demand. The lowest plan is for $29 per month and allows to track 40 products.
Some of the alternatives for JungleScout are-
- Amachete – This has a free trial version for 14 days. The lowest plan starts at $39
- KIPRT – It has a 3-day free trial. Starts at $39 per month
- Scope – It has a chrome extension which is free
3. Watch out for Influencers
Influencers can be a great way to get heads up on trending products. This can be a game changer. Pay attention to influencers and thought leaders within your niche. Follow them and see what products do they support in the social media. With their large followings and social pulls they often influence the market positions of the products and can lead to high volume sales.
In the image above, Wimbledon winner, Andy Murray is seen wearing a Rado-D-Star 200 watch which immediately gained popularity amongst his followers.
4. Trend Publications and Blogs: One can also explore different trend publications and blogs to get an idea of what is the current market trend in your niche of products. This is a great way to also get a grasp of competitors, trends and what people like to buy the most.
Some of the relevant websites are–
- Trend Hunter – It is an online community with more than 140K global members who are interested in sharing new market trends
- Trend Watching – It has independent team of professionals from around the world, who provide deep insights about trends in e-commerce business and product trends
- Sprinwise – This is a newsletter, which provides latest trends to win business. Provides innovation around different niche and ideas that empower successful online store
- Uncrate – This is a site which mostly speaks about accessories and trends emerging in the market, related to latest accessories. It is a popular consumer product blog, mostly with curated men’s products
- Cool Material – This is again an independent portal which provides trends about different products.
- More inspiration – A good website which categorically divides segments to search from. It has a whole bunch of trending topics including travel, sports, technology, advertisement and many more.
- Cool Business Ideas – This provides valuable trends on different consumer goods, fashion and many more. The site provides great ideas for anyone looking out for newer innovations.
These blogs and publications, will not provide you a direct list of trending products, but the information-rich content can provide good insights on what is currently happening in the market and is a good way to explore trends. You can specifically find such related websites offering trends about your product niche.
AliExpress offers bestselling and popular products across a wide range of categories such as fashion, toys, electronics and many more. Each category provides great insights into how the market is emerging.
6. Trends portrayed on e-commerce website
Some of the well-known websites such a Suzy Shier (http://suzyshier.com/) allows users to shop by category as well as by trends. So if you happen to browse through these trends, you can get to know what products are currently trending in the market.Similarly, trending products can be checked over at popular e-commerce websites such as Amazon as shown below-
This tool evaluates whether the product you are planning to sell, is a good proposition. You list your product ideas and answer a series of questions about the product, which helps guide whether you are selling the right product.
This is free to use evaluator. While this provides a conceptual level evaluation of your store idea and product niche. It will not provide trends specific to a brand.
8. Popularly known product review blogs
Trending products can be easily checked on popular review blogs. These also display some of the coolest products entering the market. Popular blogs are a good source to find trending products and can help spark spinoff ideas.
Some of the popular blogs include-
- AcquireMag – It covers topic ranging from fashion, entertainment to cars, electronics and many more.
- Werd – This covers latest technology and travel related trending topics.
- Bens Bargain – This covers various niche and provides latest deals.
- Bless this stuff – This has a newsletter along with the blog. This provides a conducive list of travel accessories, gadgets, and several other products.
- Gear Patrol – It has topics from boots to mobiles, around different trends.
- Gear Moose – This includes gear for men, also consisting of a newsletter of the most popular trends
- HiConsumption – This is also a men’s accessories website and speaks about almost all day to day accessories.
- Firebox – A customized website which includes latest trends in home appliances, food & drinks, gadgets and several other items.
9. Curated blogs and Market Places:
These are similar to blogs and do the heavy lifting for you, buy curating the best amongst larger marketplaces and niche. Some of these sites are-
- Canopy – It curates the most durable products from Amazon marketplace.
- co – It curates AliExpress. These are hand selected and filtered, so saves a lot of your time without browsing through junk products
10. Business to business marketplaces
B2B marketplaces not only allow you to see the trends but also you can find the suppliers. Some such websites are-
- Alibaba – They are the biggest e-commerce company, even larger than eBay and Amazon combined together. It connects consumers all over the world with wholesalers and manufacturers typically from Asia. With tons of products, there is very less that you may not find in Alibaba. You can also sort products based on the revenue they generate.
- TradeKey – Again lists different products and wholesale suppliers
- Global Sources – Shows list of products across different niche and lists down the suppliers.
- Made-in-China – You can see hot items list over here and they cover almost every category of product
- IndiaMart – This has a separate section on trending products.
11. Consumer Marketplaces – Consumer marketplaces are places that sell directly to consumers. By strategically searching on their trending pages you can get a better sense of current market trends. Some of these sites are-
- eBay Popular – A list of most popular product categories on eBay
- eBay Watch – An online tool, which will list the popular items on eBay based on how many people are watching it.
- Amazon Best Sellers – Shows Amazon’s most popular sold products.
- Amazon Movers and Shakers – Amazon’s biggest gainers in sales ranked over past 24 hours. It is updated hourly.
- Kickstarter Discover – You can browse all projects based on popularity, funding and many other options
- Etsy – This display a list of items which are popular currently.
- AliExpress Popular – This shows a detailed list based on category of products which are most popular on AliExpress
- Storenvy – Provides trending products on Storeenvy.
12. Social Curation Sites: Social curation sites like Pinterest, can provide tons of insights about product performance. Many of the images contain new, trending consumer products. Using the inbuilt social signals, you can decipher if the product is popular enough in the market. One of the first clues to trend finding.
Some of the large social curation sites are-
- Pinterest Popular Section – This is a fastest growing social network with more than 50 million monthly users. The popular section shows the current trends.
- Polyvore – This is similar to Pinterest. It has a separate trends section
- Fancy – It is considered as a part-time store and magazine. However, irrespective of what it is, it is filled with product ideas to be explored.
- Wanelo – It consolidates several products into one portal. You can start by checking out at https://wanelo.co/top/peopl.
- Instagram– You can search on Instagram over a particular hashtag and following relevant people in the industry. Another option to search on Instagram is by searching applicable hashtags that insinuate buyer interest and intent like #want or #buy. Shopify (https://www.instagram.com/shopify/ ) curates interesting and unique products from Shopify’s 90000+ online stores. This might as well provide a spark for your next product.
13. Search Best Selling on Shopify: You can check hot selling products through popular Shopify apps. Here you can search for popular or frequently used apps. For example, we searched on “Oberlo” which has 1917 reviews. On the display page on browsing to the bottom, you can see several reviews. Click one of the reviews.
Click one of the URL of the review and add “/collections/all?sort_by=best-selling” to the URL. You will be able to see the popular products.
This technique can be used on any Shopify website. To browse all Shopify website, you can use- MyIP.ms (https://myip.ms/browse/sites/World_Websites_Database_7000000). You can filter for Shopify based websites and also specific to a particular region.
On search, you will be displayed a number of sites sorted on the basis of World Site popular rating.
Open the first URL for instance (http://colourpop.com) and add /collections/all?sort_by=best-selling at the end of the URL. This will provide the complete popular products. This is an extremely powerful way to find trending products.
BuzzSumo allows you to analyze best performing product/ category amongst Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn along with a number of shares. This gives a trend of popularity within a product niche. For instance, below we have searched for watches.
You can also track the backlinks. By clicking on the link, you can see the complete product description. This has a free trial version and paid version starts at $79 per month.
15. Google with Shopify:
To search for hot selling products you can go to google.com and type com along with your product niche.
Once you search, you can click the top appearing links and add (/collections/all?sort_by=best-selling) to the link. This will help in checking the top products. Below we have added a similar search for watches.
Finding products is a matter of doing research and proactively discovering trends. The online market is very vast and the time taken to research about a product can vary based on the product niche. Unless you are working ahead of the game, it would be difficult to figure out the right trend.
Many times, trends are short-lived, which means you always need to be watchful and on the lookout for newer insights about the product- just to ensure you do not miss the wave. We have consolidated all of the different tips together, across various channels. Outlined are techniques to find trending products to sell online so that you do not have to worry about searching high-demand products for your online store.