E-commerce is spread worldwide across multiple business domains. Yet, this is just the beginning of e-commerce getting viral. In future, the growth of e-commerce companies is going to be even more rapid. There are multiple factors that one needs to consider while launching an e-commerce store. One of the important and deciding factors is the choice of platform to set up your e-commerce store.
Nailing down a single e-commerce platform is never very simple. First, you need to be aware of the benefits of using the platform and also check how the platform can help you improve your sales. So how exactly can you choose the right e-commerce platform? Below are few pointers to look for before choosing an e-commerce platform.
- Choose an e-commerce platform that is suitable for your business
- Create a valid business scenario to check feasibility
- Value of add-on features. If there are multiple add-on features, but not sufficing the purpose to build your business, then it’s almost worthless giving the platform a try.
- Pricing model. This plays a crucial role. Some platforms have sales restrictions and you may have to bear additional expenses.
- Value of improved customer experience. A platform you choose should enrich the customer
- Look for testimonials and evidence to check the credibility of a platform for the kind of business you own. An e-commerce platform needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis, based on business niche.
- Costs for License, build, transfer, maintenance. Also, check if any additional cost needs to be borne while using the platform
- Evaluate risks that could potentially cause a business scenario failure
- Customer support to ensure you get priority support in cases of issues or escalations
- Security risks if any should be evaluated prior to choosing a platform.
- Integration support such as the number of payment gateway support, themes, mobile responsive templates, third-party apps support needs to be considered
- Speed, performance, memory, shared server options, and other parameters should be evaluated
- Do complete research and review a platform making finalizing a choice.
Few of the popular e-commerce platforms are – Magento, Shopify, BigCommerce, OpenCart to name a few. By and large, Magento has several advantages and is proven to be the best choice for e-commerce business. WordPress appears to have made a great deal of progress as a popular CMS. However, when it comes to e-commerce, Magento is the most famous CMS platform. A lot of well-known websites and top e-commerce stores use Magento to power their e-store. Magento occupies almost 26% of the e-commerce market. Some of the top brands such as Nike, Nestle, Samsung, Lenovo, Fox Connect are powered by Magento.
Through this post, I will walk you through Magento – 15 Reasons Why Magento is Best for E-commerce Website. Before that let me give a brief introduction to Magento.
Introduction to Magento:
Magento is one of the most popular e-commerce platform choices. It is a leading enterprise-class e-commerce platform, empowering over 200,000 online stores. It is chosen by 1 out every 4 businesses. A common reason to choose Magento over others is, it has multiple benefits. The platform is written in PHP and was originally developed by Varien, Inc, a US private company headquartered in Culver City, California. This was initially released in 2008 and Magento 2.0 was released in 2015.
Several customers from other platform are migrating to Magento owing to its benefits. Below is a representation of the migration of customers from another platform to Magento.
Now that we have checked details about Magento, let us check the top 15 reasons why customers prefer Magento.
Magento – 15 Reasons Why Magento is Best for E-commerce Website:
1. Open-Source: Magento has 3 versions namely – the Magento Community Edition which is free, the Magento Enterprise Edition that is paid and Magento Go which is paid and hosted on Magento’s servers. The community edition is the most popular of the three.
Magento has its own large community that is active and supports their own developer and user community. There is complete adaptability with the goal that developers can change or extend the code to fulfill business needs and prerequisites. Magento has its own large community that is active and supports their own developer and user community. There is complete adaptability with the goal that developers can change or extend the code to fulfill business needs and prerequisites.
After downloading and installing this online shopping platform for free, you can install extensions and do a whole lot of customization using the Magento Connect Marketplace. Additionally, because it is open source the platform gets updated from time to time making it more secure and reliable to protect you from hackers. At any point in time, if you have any issues, the extensive community is something you can turn to for any solutions that you might need.
2. Affordable: The biggest advantage of using Magento is its affordability. In most cases, users have to pay a huge amount to choose a professional e-commerce platform. On the contrary, Magento is free of cost except for the installation and customization charges. This includes free consultation.
Magento community version is free to download. For the enterprise version, you can get a free 30-day trial. Magento is available as Magento 1 and Magento 2. Magento 1 is also commonly referred to as original Magento. The Enterprise Edition for the original Magento plan starts at $18,000 for the year. The Enterprise Edition for Magento 2.0 starts at $22,000.
For Magento 1, the price of purchasing a Magento license increased with each server you added. For Magento 2, the final price is determined by the amount of revenue your company brings in. If your business makes a million or less in gross merchandise sales value (GMV) then Magento takes $22,000. If your company’s GMV is more than a million, the cost will rise.
The general scales, GMV = License Cost:• Under $1M GMV = $22,000• $1M – $5M GMV = $32,000• $5M – $10M = $49,000• $10M – $25M = $75,000
As compared to several other platforms, Magento provides more features. Though Magento’s Enterprise Edition (EE) and Enterprise Cloud Edition (ECE) are highly priced, these are still affordable as compared to other platforms. The plan includes a wide array of features. Magento’s flexible rules of pricing attract a high number of customers.
3. Exhaustive Feature List: Magento stands out as the best full-featured e-commerce systems in the enterprise as well as open source markets. It provides a wide array of useful features. This helps you deal with the entire e-commerce solution as well as administration. The powerful pre-built Magento features intensify user experience and increase selling potential.
This is one of the platforms which provides simple to use and flexible features. The updates to the website are done automatically. Most platforms do not provide this option. With Magento, you get a wide range of features not only for the enterprise-level plan but also for community version.
Some of the important features included are – Code level access, Web services API, Mobile HTML Theme Pre-integrated, vast extensions, multiple API integration support, themes, mobile e-commerce, multiple stores, flexible pricing rules, persistent shopping cart experience, analytics and reporting, layered navigation and many more. The list is exhaustive and all of these features are included as part of the plan.
4. Compatibility with Device: There are simply thousands of professional responsive templates available for Magento. Magento responsive design is one of their greatest strengths. This has a seamless integration over desktop as well as mobile devices. With the popularity of Mobile and smartphones being so high, it is important that your e-store is mobile responsive.
The Magento e-Commerce Platform comes packed with mobile-friendly technology such that its customers can not just use websites to promote the product but can also give them the same experience in the smartphone space.The Magento e-Commerce Platform comes packed with mobile-friendly technology such that its customers can not just use websites to promote the product but can also give them the same experience in the smartphone space.
It provides users with easy drag and drop options, audiovisuals, and control on screen size to make it accessible to mobiles and websites. Not only that, their mobile support is equally efficient over any screen resolution and dimension. Magento also has multiple browser support which includes-
• Internet Explorer 11 or later, Microsoft Edge, the latest–1
• Firefox latest, the latest–1 (any operating system)
• Chrome latest, latest–1 (any operating system)
• Safari latest, the latest–1 (Mac OS)
• Safari Mobile for iPad 2, iPad Mini, iPad with Retina Display (iOS 7 or later), for desktop storefront
• Safari Mobile for iPhone 4 or later; iOS 7 or later, for mobile storefront
• Chrome for the mobile latest–1 (Android 4 or later) for mobile storefront
5. Security: Magento by default is secure and more reliable to protect from hackers. Security is a top priority for Magento. It has a group of security experts working 24*7 whereas Magento Enterprise version has a Secure Payment Bridge which helps you accomplish PCI agree-ability.
Magento has safer and more secure upgrade and payments. This also has a security testing area which allows you to test the site before going live. Magento 2 has enriched security protection. Few of the features included are – Better password management tools, regular updates, adaptable file permissions, two-factor authentication, SSL/HTTPS, regular backups and many more.
6. Performance: If performance is your main requirement, then Magento offers top performance. It is the right alternative and can deliver high performance. It is superior to its competitors. Magento permits you to arrange a couple of parameters to adjust your website’s execution.
It contains high-end cache systems, for example, Varnish and other Database optimizations that help in enhancing website performance. It is ideal in case your e-store wants superior performance. With Magento, it is easy to tweak and improve performance at any time.
Magento downloads have drastically increased since its launch in 2008.
The performance of Magento is one of the key reasons why it powers over 28% of websites across the internet and 16% of the top one million websites. The performance of Magento is one of the key reasons why it powers over 28% of websites across the internet and 16% of the top one million websites.
7. Multiple Payment Gateways and Delivery Options: Magento supports a wide range of default payment gateways. The integration is simple and easy to incorporate. Apart from the default set of payment gateway, Magento can also extend support for custom integrations.
Magento payment provider supports the following payment operations:
• Authorization: Process authorization transaction; funds are blocked on the customer account, but not withdrawn
• Sale: Process authorization transaction and capture automatically, funds are withdrawn
• Capture: Withdraw the previously authorized amount• Refund: Return previously withdrawn customer funds
• Void: Cancel the transfer of funds from a customer account
Similarly, Magento has an easy to configure shipping or delivery option. The configurations are flexible and can support multiple delivery options.
8. International Support: Magento has built-in support for localization, multiple languages, multiple currencies and tax rates, allowing your web store to trade internationally. It also supports emphasize characters and RTL (right-to-left) text and accompanies around 60 predefined languages.
However, you can create custom language packs. It has the ability to set diverse tax zones and payment frameworks on a single nation premise. There are three ways to implement internationalization in Magento:
• It’s possible to create different websites for every language. The approach allows dividing customers, orders, templates, catalogs, and domains according to the language. Multi settings help to have absolutely different frontends while being managed from the same admin panel.
• An additional store can be created for your website. The approach helps to divide the catalog. It means you can sell different products for different regions while having the only website with common customer and order databases. Besides, the same template can be applied to these stores.
• Create a new store view. In this case, you can divide templates based on languages and translate text in the catalogs and blocks.
9. Scalable and Advance Solutions: Magento is a scalable solution which can be used by small or large e-stores. As your business grows, the scaling feature of Magento is able to add new features like an unlimited number of products to catalog or processing thousands of orders without hampering your website.
In this way, a large number of clients and products can be scaled effortlessly. Not only this Magento has an advanced storage system that guarantees that your site is responsive without needing expensive hosting infrastructure.
Magento provides a lot of advanced solutions such as advanced customer segmentation and targeting, advanced return management authorization, full page caching, store credits and many more.
10. Advanced SEO Management: Magento is one of the best e-Commerce platforms that are SEO friendly, apart from hosting all your information it also aids your websites such that they show up in the search engine space. You can configure the Magento e-Commerce platform to offer metadata and descriptions for products and categories, sitemaps for search engines including for Google, content pages, keywords, control over URLs and many others.
Its source code comes built in with all this information to make its customer’s transition seamless and easy, saving your time while making it search friendly. It also provides Google-specific sitemaps and HTML sitemaps for users, giving enough options to Google to find content and products.
11. Third Party Integration: Third-party integration is one of the key aspects for any e-commerce store. To run an effective e-Store, Magento allows easy integration with a large number of third-party services. you can easily integrate third-party extensions and solutions such as external payment gateways like PayPal, eBay, databases applications, Google analytics, Google shopping and shipping services like shipping order, tracking & the whole shipping process and much more.
It also supports integration with WordPress platform. Integrating with a third party API using Magento is extremely simple. The third-party integrations are modularized based on the functionality they perform.
12. One step checkout: Magento has a one-page checkout process. This is supported by SSL. The merchants can configure the shopping cart by themselves and can also optimize it for expanded conversions.
Optimizing the checkout process is something that Magento helps you add to your e-store. if you switch to one-page checkout process you will see less number of visitors leaving their shopping carts.
Additionally, there are many plugins that can be integrated with Magento for a quicker and consistent checkout procedure to keep your clients satisfied.
13. Multiple Stores and Languages: Magento supports multiple setups, multiple stores, and multiple languages. This all can be done from the admin panel. A configuration change in Magento is extremely simple to perform and saves a lot of time.
You can setup multi-stores in just one installation. Likewise, because of its adaptability, you can regulate the entire shop and every component of it to any language you require. You can easily utilize various languages in one shop or different shops. On the whole, you can easily manage your store’s billing, stock, product updating, client records and so on from a single admin dashboard.
Using Magento language support is extremely easy. You can easily add a new language support. Magento has support for over 80 languages. This also has currency support.
14. Modular and Customizable: Each industry that uses CMS platforms has different needs and has to use the CMS differently. In the sense that what works with the fashion industry doesn’t work with the book industry.
The Magento e-commerce platform gives its users the flexibility to customize based on their specific industry needs. Given that it is an open source platform and also built primarily for e-commerce, it is highly modular and customizable.
The modular elements of this online shopping platform enable you to retain the robust back-end while altering the front-end to give your users an experience that is both pleasurable and efficient. It also allows custom modules that can be added to the system without interrupting with the source code and hence all Magento updates run effortlessly without splitting any update
Magento offers more than 1,900 e-Commerce themes to download in Magento Connect and most of them have been made by developers. There are several free themes also available.
15. Efficiency and Flexibility: The Magento platform enables you to pick the host you want to go with, for your website. This means you can choose the most economical options available and the most flexible one as well. Additionally, it also supports seamless switching to other hosting services, provided you are not satisfied with the one you are associated with.
Also, Magento Go offers you the options to switch combined with the benefits that are available with the Magento Community edition platform. Magento is a versatile platform which can be used efficiently for almost any industry. If the inherent components of Magento do not satisfy you, you have a choice to build extensions and get the elements you require. Its efficiency and flexibility are one of the key reasons why Magento is considered a top e-commerce platform choice.
Magento Features:There are some subtle feature differences between Magento’s community and enterprise version. This is as listed below.
|FEATURE||Community Edition||Enterprise Edition|
|Web services API||Yes||Yes|
|Mobile HTML Theme Pre-integrated||Yes||Yes|
|Multiple Store Views||Yes||Yes|
|Advanced Administrator Roles||Yes||Yes|
|Advanced Customer Segmentation and Targeting||No||Yes|
|Advanced Return Management Authorization||No||Yes|
|Private Sales, Event, Invitations||No||Yes|
|Persistent Shopping Cart||Yes||Yes|
|Flexible Pricing Rules||Yes||Yes|
|Price and Promotion Permission||No||Yes|
|Minimum Advertised Price||No||Yes|
|Analytics and Reporting||Yes||Yes|
|Enhanced Catalogue and Content Management System||No||Yes
|Staging, Merging and Rollback of Content||No||Yes|
|International Commerce and Multiple Languages||Yes||Yes
|Shipping Rules, Payment Configurations, and Gateways||Yes||Yes|
|Up-sells, Cross-sells, and Related Products||Yes||Yes|
|Flexible Couponing and Promotions||Yes||Yes|
|Customer Accounts Management||Yes||Yes|
|Gift Registry and Gifting Options||No||Yes|
|Call Centre with Assisted Shopping||No||Yes|
Magento 2.x which is the latest supported version has several added benefits over Magento 1.x. This has advanced support features as well as more sophisticated security enhancements.
Finally, to conclude Magento has indeed an exhaustive feature list. However, it’s not only the feature list that is attractive in Magento. There are several added benefits of using Magento. Through this post, I have provided my top 15 reasons why Magento is considered best for an e-commerce website.
Additionally, with every Magento release, there are several new features which are added. The biggest advantage is its community edition which helps you to first try out the platform before committing to a specific plan. Overall, Magento has the potential to support small, large as well as very large e-stores.